Our  234th Year of Masonry

Richmond Randolph No. 19 was chartered in 1787 and named after the then current Grand Master Edmund Randolph, who was the 4th Governor of Virginia and first Attorney General of the United States. We are the owners and caretakers of Masons’ Hall, whose cornerstone was laid in 1785, a few short months after the same Masons laid the cornerstone to the Virginia Legislative building designed by Thomas Jefferson. Masons’ Hall is noted as the oldest continuously operating Masonic building built for Masonic purposes in the Western Hemisphere. We take pride in our history and carrying on the tradition of molding men within the precepts of an upright life.

 The history of old Masons’ Hall and No. 19 is indeed full of interest. Patriots, warriors, statesmen and philanthropists, whose fame was not confined to one hemisphere, have been seated around its Lodge altar. From the Grand Lodge of Virginia, assembled within these walls, have emanated the charters of nearly all the Lodges in the State prior to the 20th Century. While it is true the Grand Lodge had its birth elsewhere, yet here it was nourished to vigor and manhood, the “Masons’ Hall” at 18th and Franklin in Richmond Virginia may justly be regarded as the cradle of Virginia Masonry.

Any views, opinions, or thoughts articulated in postings and/or comments from any contributors do not in any way represent the views of the Grand Lodge of Virginia, its officers, employees, or its subordinate Lodges.